Friday 18 November 2011

Rudbeckia

My darling wife works hard in the garden and the results of this hard work are wonderful displays of flowers. This year my wife grew some Rudbeckia plants. These plants have been a fantastic display of sunny yellow flowers for what seems to be months.  They look like little suns.  Like the suns that children draw.
Inspired by these plants and finding a canvass in the back of my workroom (calling it a studio seem pretentious). One sunny day a few weeks ago I went into the garden and laid myself flat out in front of one of the Rudbeckia plants with the canvass and a pencil. A few moments later my wife came rushing out asking me if I was ok. She had seen me flat in the garden but did not see the canvass. She thought that I had collapsed.
Armed with a mastic gun I outlined the flowers and produced the following picture. I like the naïve effect that the mastic gun only allows.

Size 16" x 20"

The flowers on the picture are still blooming whilst the plant is now fading.




2 comments:

  1. This painting is amazing... I love what you do with the mastic gun and really like the string outline it creates! Love the image next to the flowers, it really gives context to your work! It's really fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Rudbeckias look kinda naïve in real life too though don't they? Love the texture.

    ReplyDelete