Sunday 15 May 2011

Memory Work

I have had a few things on the window sill of my work room (I do not like to use the term studio as that seems pretentious in my case). These are things that I have picked up on my holidays and in some way remind of the places where I found them.
They are two pieces of tree bark from Kew Gardens, London.  A piece of slate from on old slate mine on the banks of Loch Lomond, bonnie Scotland. And a slice of tree from the trunk of a felled tree I found in Grizedale Forest in the Lake District.
All beautiful items in their right.
I thought I would put these together to form some sort on good memories sculpture.  I have finally done this. Now where and how to photograph it for my blog. My first thought was of a clinical white background arranged outside in the garden where the light is good.  In the garden another memory kicked in. I really like the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Sculptures set in a living natural setting as opposed to a clinic museum type gallery.  Placing my small sculpture on the grass seemed the right thing to do. To add some scale to the picture I added the play people that my children and grandchildren play with. So in a way I had formed a Memory  Installation that now includes my children , grandchildren and Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
I have now found that the sculpture doubles up as a letter rack. Has this now become Applied Art?
Yorkshire Sculpture Park memory added


Memory of Children added

A useful object aswell

1 comment:

  1. I love this...I love the building up of all the little memories x

    ReplyDelete