Monday 2 May 2011

Unearthed Saxon One

If you refer back to my post ‘I got my cheque today’, posted 18th April. I describe how I felt when I sold an abstract picture called ‘Unearthed Saxon Two’. What about ‘Unearthed Saxon one’. I see it every day as it is hanging in the kitchen. My dear wife would not let me put it up for sale thankfully as I would miss this one. A lot of me went into it along with bits of wire and stuff. It was my first venture into this format (sticking bits to a canvas). I am adding it to my blog as I would feel guilty if I did not.

Size 9" x 12 "



3 comments:

  1. This series turned out great!! The warm colors and the added texture make it visually stimulating. Where do you sell your art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isabelle
    Thank you for your comments. My friend is an archaeologist and we often talk about old things he has found and look at items in museums. A while ago he showed me a carved stone axe head that he had which was a few thousand years old. It was wondrous. When I look at these items I am also in awe of the skills that our ancestors had. I particularly like the intricate work of the Celts and the Saxons. These pictures of mine are inspired by the intricate Saxon jewellery that has been unearthed by the archaeologists. The colours I have used as based on those of the jewellery that I have seen. As part of the process I sand of some of the over colours to try to achieve a worn surface as if was lost in the earth.
    With regard to the question, where do I sell my art? Currently this is only at open exhibitions in public galleries. Where I live there are no contemporary gallery outlets. There a few places where I could rent space for a week or so. But my daytime job does not give me a lot of time to build up enough pieces for a private exhibition. I am working on it though, maybe this time next year.
    Sorry to rabbit on a bit
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. And I love the fact it has a story. It makes the work more than just aesthetic. It's always the story behind the work that seems to grab me with art...

    ReplyDelete