Thursday 21 April 2011

I want to break free… Part two

I have started to work in a more loose way. I have been trying this for some while now. I thought that ink and watercolour picture that I did, three years ago, of the market town where I live, was loose. It was for me then. Since then I have tried to be freer in my style.  I have also been experimenting by adding torn paper to some of my pictures. By doing this I was hoping to give some variety of texture and some depth. It seems to have worked with my recent picture of the market square.  I have used artist licence in this one and not added all the cars that would normally be parked there. To me this is what creating a picture is about. You add what you like into it and let your imagination do the rest.  
To me a picture is a success if the viewer looks at it twice, if they draw near to peer at it. They may not finally like it but isn’t that what’s art is all about. Taking time to stop and stare. It is not what is art, it is when is art. (I think this is a quote from someone but I cannot remember who)

Size 11" x8"


Size 12" x 5"


The first two following photographs are of the picture I did 3 years ago. The other two photographs, are of my recent one.

No comments:

Post a Comment