Tuesday 19 April 2011

Is it worth it?

‘One picture is worth a thousand words’, is a quote by Frederick R. Barrand.
A few years ago I wrote a small book of poetry and sold copies for charity. I came across it again recently. This is the first poem that I wrote, it is called  

’Wishing’
I wish I could sing,
Make sounds so pleasing to the crowd.
I wish I could sing,
not just in my head but out aloud.

I wish I could sing,
and be a member of the choir
I wish I could sing,
Reach all the notes, the lower and the higher.

I wish I could sing,
having a voice needing to be heard.
I wish I could sing,
having the gifts of a bird.

Now there’s a thought!

I wish I could fly ….

This adds up to 83 words, not even a tenth of a picture.  And as I cannot either sing or fly I will stick to what I do best. Now what was that???

3 comments:

  1. But even though you don't feel this communicates as much as an image, it is still about expression and striving to express oneself. It paints an image in my mind on several levels: It makes me think of how I sing all the time, I'm proud to sing so badly that even my little girl begs me to shut up. I love to sing and don't care that it sounds dreadful, it's just so cathartic and freeing... it makes me visualise the verses, possibly adding up to hundreds of images... it would be lovely to illustrate? Is this maybe a way to incorporate more text into your work? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello girls... this is such an interesting discussion...

    I am a photographer (or at least I'm trying to be). But I am also in love with words. Your poem, by the way, is beautiful.
    Imagery does have a powerful impact for self expression. Take for example my latest post. The picture I included I found it browsing the net, and it moved me so much that took me to write everything I wrote on that post. I think good imagery and good writing go hand in hand....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn
    Like you sometimes my mind’s eye works overtime, I need to release these images. Does the world have enough paper and paint for me to do this?
    You have given me food for thought in using text within my images. Thank you.
    Isabella
    The arrangement of words, the arrangement of the brush strokes, the photographic image, real or manipulated, triggers something inside our minds. It does not need to have to have an obvious meaning. It just needs to inspire.
    I will let you into one of my secrets, only one this time, I am a male.

    ReplyDelete